Do you remember one of the first things you saved your money to purchase? What was it?
Read Proverbs 28:22 and 1 Timothy 6:9-10
Last week we talked about some of the traps to which the wealthy are prone. Let’s spend some time looking at the way wealth can create poverty in our lives.
• How can wealth contribute to thinking too highly of ourselves?
• How can wealth prevent us from entering into relationships with others?
• How can wealth prevent us from entering into a deeper relationship with God?
Research shows that people in cultures with fewer material possessions are more likely to share with others. Conversely, people from cultures who possess more are less likely to share. Why is that?
These verses in 1 Timothy remind us that if we don’t have control over our wealth, we plunge into ruin and destruction. And yet, we still allow our wealth to be a temptation and a trap.
• Why is wealth so attractive?
• Why do we believe money will make us happy?
• Why do we find it so difficult to part with our money?
Read Luke 12:13-21. Why did Jesus call the man in this parable foolish? What do we need to learn from this story?