What was your biggest fear when you were a child?
Read Acts 16:16-40
- What would your first reaction be if you were surrounded by an angry mob, stripped, and beaten?
- Why do you think Paul and Silas were able to pray and sing hymns to God in the midst of the circumstances they faced?
- When we think of the fears people face, how do they typically respond? How do people try to alleviate their fears?
- In what ways could Paul and Silas have avoided being beaten? What would their ministry have looked like if they had avoided situations because of fear?
- In verse 28, even with the opportunity to escape, all of the prisoners remained in the jail. How did Paul and Silas’ example influence the other prisoners?
- How did Paul and Silas’ example influence the jailer? Why did he move from fear to becoming a joyful follower of Jesus?
- Why is it critical for us to trust God instead of being consumed by our fears? How can outlook on fear set us apart from others?
- As you talk to God about your fears this week, consider these passages: Psalm 34:4, Psalm 56:3-4, Isaiah 41:10, Romans 8:38-39