Read Exodus 4:1-17
- Why do we make excuses?
- What is the difference between an excuse and a reason? Do you think “I don’t have enough time” is an excuse or a reason for not doing things?
- Do you think Moses’ excuses were good reasons to stay in Midian?
- What did his excuses reveal about his view of himself? What did they reveal about his view of God?
- What are some ways God revealed himself as sufficient “help” to Moses?
Read Matthew 26:36-39
- What did Jesus express in his prayers to God?
- What do we see about Jesus’ humanity in this passage?
- Why did Jesus end with, “Your will be done.” What did he know about God that allowed him to trust even while he was “sorrowful and troubled?”
- How can we use Jesus’ example to express ourselves to God and still be open to how he might challenge us and move us beyond our excuses?