Have you made any resolutions for the New Year? If so, on what area of your life are you focusing?
Read Luke 4:1-13
- In verse 3, the devil tempts Jesus by saying, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.” What human desires do you think the devil was speaking to in this verse? In what ways do we try to use physical things to medicate the longings of our heart?
- When you read verses 6-7, what human desires do you think the devil is tempting? In what ways does our desire for power and beauty cause us to want to be the “captain” of our soul instead of the keeper of our soul?
- When you look at the temptations in verses 9-11, on what human desires do you think the devil is preying? In what ways do you think we try to prove ourselves rather than believing and living like we know our worth is found in Jesus?
- When you think about some ways we give in to temptation, what effect does this have on our soul and our relationships with others?
- Jesus responds to each of these temptations with scripture. Why do you think it is essential to know what the Bible says when we face temptations that threaten the health of our soul?
- What are some of the ways we can have the truths of the Bible on the forefront of our minds, even in the midst of temptations and trials?