If you were sent into the wilderness for a week and could only bring three things, what would they be?
Read Luke 10:1-11
- Why did Jesus send out the seventy-two in pairs?
- In verse 3 Jesus says “Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.” What are some characteristics of a lamb? What are some characteristics of a wolf?
- Why do you think Jesus uses the metaphor of a lamb to describe his workers?
- In verse 4 Jesus says, “Do not take a purse or bag or sandals.” Why do you think he said this?
- How can we learn to be more dependent on Jesus and those he has put in our lives? Why is being self-sufficient at times counterproductive while being on mission for Jesus?
- Read verses 5-7. Do you have a neighbor who has been receptive to your offer of friendship? Are there ways that you can deepen that relationship?
- When we follow Jesus, there is a good chance that we’ll face rejection (v. 10). How is our desire for success, acceptance, or popularity counterproductive to living on mission for Christ?
- Read Matthew 28:18-20. Take time to pray for one another as you follow Jesus’ Great Commission.