OUR PURPOSE STATEMENT
Our purpose is why we exist as a church. Jesus said to his followers, "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" - Matthew 28:19. By staying focused on that purpose, we envision being a church that is actively helping people connect with Jesus in every ministry area we serve. Our purpose and vision influence everything we do.
OUR VISION STATEMENT
Helping People Connect With Jesus
Constance Free Church’s historical roots date back over 140 years. In 1880, Mrs. Hegland responded to the spiritual needs of children in the unincorporated community of Constance, Minnesota, by beginning a Sunday School. Other families moved to the area, and these pioneers reached out to friends and neighbors with the gospel message of Jesus.
In 1893, this group of Christians banded together and incorporated, forming this church. It was first known as the Free Church of God and later as Constance Community Church. A building committee was formed, and plans were made to build a church at a total cost of $175.
The original building was located west of the current cemetery. In 1948, the building was moved to the southwest corner of Crosstown Blvd and Constance Blvd. The basement of a new building was dedicated in 1968, and the old chapel was later moved to the Anoka County Fairgrounds. It was restored and now stands there as part of the Pioneer Village. The upper portion of the church was built on the basement in 1981 thanks to a generous gift from Mrs. Ruth Book Simonson Anderson, daughter of Rev. Magnus S. Book.
During the mid-1980s, the church saw significant growth under the ministry of Pastor Randy Discher as the Andover community developed. This paved the way for the construction of our current facility in 1995. An extended education wing was completed in 1999, and in 2004 we were blessed to add a worship auditorium and additional education space again to accommodate our growth.
Former pastors include many who were itinerant ministers, ministerial students, missionaries, and military chaplains. Three pastors spanned a significant number of years of service. Reverend Magnus S. Book (who also served as a missionary to China) served from 1912-1927. Reverend Clifford Danielson served from 1954-1978, and Reverend Jack Sowers served as interim pastor in 1978 and later as full-time pastor until 1985. Our current Senior Pastor, Reverend Randy Discher, was called to Constance in March 1986 and continues his faithful service at Constance today.
Statement of Faith
Constance Free Church is part of the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA), which is an association of autonomous churches aligned around a common statement of faith:
1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
2. We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavor should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
THE HUMAN CONDITION
3. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God's saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
4. We believe that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus-Israel's promised Messiah-was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
THE WORK OF CHRIST
5. We believe that Jesus Christ, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
THE HOLY SPIRIT
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that He does, glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ. He convicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in Him they are baptized into union with Christ and adopted as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Christ-like living and service.
7. We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God's grace through faith alone in Christ alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head. The true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed only of believers. The Lord Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord's Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
8. We believe that God's justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God's Word, the Spirit's power, and fervent prayer in Christ's name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to Christ's commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
9. We believe in the personal, bodily and glorious return of our Lord Jesus Christ. The coming of Christ, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
RESPONSE AND ETERNAL DESTINY
10. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.