Getting Started: Do you have any family heirlooms? What are the one or two things that are most meaningful to you?
Digging In: Read Deuteronomy 6:1-12
- vs. 2- How would you describe what it is to live in “the fear of the Lord”?
- How do we teach the next generation to fear the Lord?
- Do you think that is harder now than it used to be?
- vs. 5- What does it mean to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and strength?
- vs. 6- How do we keep these commands “on our hearts”?
- vs. 7-9- How do we “impress” these on those who follow us?
- Being honest with ourselves, what values were most “impressed” on you in the house you grew up in?
- Being honest with ourselves, what values and things do we “impress” on our children as being most important?
- vs. 10-12- What is the danger addressed in this passage? In the midst of living out the American Dream, how do we prevent falling into this disaster?
- Name some specific values you desire to pass on to others around you. Identify how they are connected to living in the fear of the Lord.